Monday 7 September 2015

Fasting and Word of Wisdom

Elder Pinyon emailed me with 2 emails. Here's the second email that he said,

"Hello my dear friends and family,

I am really so pleased for you all that read my blog and follow my mission. I hope you are enjoying it as much as I do. As Christmas approaches under 4 months away, I'd love to turn back to an example
that our Lord and Saviour gave us. This was as He fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. What a great example He is for us.

I really love this part of His ministry, because it is actually right before it starts. Why does He fast for this cause? The Saviour wanted to be the most effective that He could as He could be, so by doing
this, He gave up something earthly, such as food and water. As He did this, He received the spiritual strength. But fasting is not just giving up food and water.

Here are 5 tips on how to have an effective fast next time you decide to fast.

5 Fasting Facts
Who: Anyone old enough and healthy enough to go without food and water (ask your parents)
What: Skip eating and drinking for two meals
When: The first Sunday of each month
How: Pray before, during, and after fasting; go to church; give a fast offering
Why: To strengthen your faith and help people who need help If you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, please try it. If you are not, please also try it. I can promise you that fasting can really change your life, it did for me and I know it will for you.

The next point I'd love to discuss today is something which we call the Word of Wisdom. Now what could this Word of Wisdom be about? Is it about wisdom? Is it about how to use words? Well, actually, it's a health code that we have as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Some of you may never of heard it, but it's always been around. It was there in the time of Adam and Eve and as we know, God never changes, it is also here today. In the time of Adam and Eve, they were commanded by God, not to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

In the time of Daniel, him and his three friends, Shadrach, Meshach and Aben-nego would not bow to other Gods and would not indulge of food. This was also a health code that God had given unto them. Instead of indulging in food, they ate grains and foods that God had revealed unto them that they could eat. Just like in the time of Daniel, how he received this marvellous revelation, we also as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints have received this revelation through a prophet named Joseph Smith Jr.

On February 27 1833, President Joseph Smith Jr. received a health code called the Word of Wisdom. This health code included revelation about smoking tobacco, drinking any type of alcohol and hot drinks (such as black/green tea and coffee). Later revelation from another Prophet was received that illegal drugs are also included. These things are not for the belly nor the body.

As my friends and family, I invite you to try and live this health code. Whether you are a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or not. If you have an addiction, give it up. You are stronger than this addiction. I really love you all and I want you all to know that.

Stay tuned for next weeks edition.

Elder (Jacob) Pinyon

Sent from Elder Pinyon."

Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment